Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pluggers: Some pluggers have really jumped on the "going green" bandwagon.

It's worth pointing out--and not just because his link has been giving me a shitload of traffic--that Jaime Weinman's exactly right about Pluggers and Jay Leno trafficking in the same type of humor. Just observe how similar the joke in this cartoon is to this Leno joke from James Poniewozik's Time cover story:
Jay Leno drove to work today in an 84-year-old car. It sits in his parking space in the NBC lot, on this sweltering summer morning in Burbank, a 1925 Model T Roadster. “That’s part of my social experiment, being green,” he tells me. “It’s my theory that if you drive the same car for 80 years, you’re more environmentally friendly than buying a new car every five or six years, even if it’s a hybrid. I mean, that is the original green car. It has nothing on it. There’s no water pump, no oil pump. There’s no — it just has what you need to get from point A to point B.”
So there you go. Saving the earth isn't about sacrificing or anything. It's about ... not sacrificing. Because sacrificing's stupid. Ha ha.

(I was going to write a long post about the type of humor Pluggers traffics in, but, really, just read Jaime's post, invert Leno and Pluggers, and you'll know what I was going to write without me actually having to write it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment